Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Grandeur of Westminster and St. James # 2

Oh Westminster! The only time I had seen Westminster before the walk was at night and it was great to see it in the day and be able to really see it! We started our walk at the Wesminster Tube station and headed towards Parliament,, doing the walk backwards. I was so amazed at the intricate architecture of the buildings of Parliament. I am always in such awe of the details that all of the buildings have. We have tons of technology and neat contemporary buildings, but I absolutely love older buildings such as Buckingham Palace and Parliament.


After Parliament we walked on over to the Jewel Tower and through the Deans Yard. I had no idea that Westminster Abbey is now a public school, but was informed of that by the book. The Dean's Yard so was quaint and peaceful I loved walking through it. This walk was one of my favorites because we got to walk by Buckingham Palace. I think that area is just gorgeous with the Palace and the two parks St. James and Green park.


St. James church is surprisingly over by Green Park instead of St. James park and it didn't really look like a church. There was a big sign out front that identified the church, but it was also a small cafe which was rather odd to me. Then I started thinking about the other churches we had visited and most of them had a cafe either in the crypt or on the premises, definitely different!

We had already visited the horse's guard for the royal wedding. In fact we stood at the Horse's Guard for a good 5 1/2 hours while we waited and watched the royal procession. So we hopped on the tube at Piccadilly Circus and headed home for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment