Monday, May 16, 2011

So High SOHO # 4

That was the name of a store we passed on our SOHO and Trafalagar square walk.I had to laugh as it was just so incredibly Eugene and it kind of made me miss my hippie home! London is fabulous and parts of it remind me a lot of home. I went to Borough market this last weekend and it reminded me so much of the farmer's market in Eugene and Camden markets was like walking into the British version of the Saturday market! Oh home... but enough with that and on to walk number 4!

We actually started a Charing Cross station in Trafalgar Square and walked to Soho instead of the other way around. It was a fun walk and it definitely exposed some different areas of London! I love Trafalgar square - it reminds me so much of San Francisco with all of the museums and people and of course the giant square with the fountain. We stopped to take a pic by the fountain and dip our hands in the refreshingly cool water! It was delightful and really fun to sit and people watch for a moment!


We trekked on to Leicester square. It was full of construction for the 2012 Olympics. I have to say I am really sad we are here now and not then, it would be so fantastic to be here for the Olympics. Another trip maybe?? We'll see what Laren says ;)

Then came China Town which really reminded me of San Francisco and gave me the urge to go back! It was great - we walked through it and just enjoyed being there. I loved all of the flags that were hanging and seeing the mass amounts of diversity among the people. I love how diverse London is! It is fun to constantly be hearing other languages and seeing different ethnicities. It is a really eye opening experience!



Soho came next! It was hmmm.. interesting to say the least! When I think of the word Soho I think of very trendy and artsy and a little on the odd side.. I'd have to say that's how I felt about the Soho neighborhood. The red light district just so happens to be in this neighborhood ( in case you were wondering) and we came across this lovely treasure of a sign. It was one of the funniest things I had seen in a while. London has fantastic signs - much better than anything in the U.S.!


We made our way back to the subway station and headed for home!

No comments:

Post a Comment