Saturday, May 28, 2011

Inns of Court # 7

Inns of Court? What does that even mean?? That was something I was asking myself the entire walk! And no, sadly I have no idea what it means. I do know however that me and leading walks probably are not the best combination, I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt this time and say it was the silly walks book though! Tonight Amanda G. , Sarah S. and I did the Inns of Court walk.
We started off at the Temple tube station and made our way up Milford Lane to Essex street over to St. Clements Church and the Royal Courts of Justice. The Royal courts are HUGE and look very much like a royal building. I was surprised to learn that they are used mainly for civil courts and the criminal cases happen in a different court house. Probably not intriguing to anyone else, but I really like law so I found it interesting :)


We made our way by a TON of pubs and lots of drunk people and a large amount of creeper guys hanging out on the corner of Lincoln Fields. Probably wasn't our smartest idea to do this walk later in the evening, but oh well we survived!! We made the corner around Lincoln Fields and made our walk to High Holborn Street. The walk was going pretty smoothly, probably due to random facts of information in the book I found interesting! Holborn is where our path got a little tricky! We were able to find Gray's Inn and the gardens, but once we reached the Griffen we struggled!

Little did we know that after a certain time of day most of the public gates and walkways are closed making our walk pretty... well adventurous! We wandered around for a good 5-10 minutes trying to figure out where on earth we were supposed to go and then a nice stranger gave us some directions and informed us that the gates we needed were closed! We got back on track and made it to the Knights Templar. It was great weather and not many people were out so it was nice to wander through the courtyards by the Knights Templar chapel and other courts of the old monastery. After making it through the gardens and thinking we were locked in we found the way out and made our way back to the tube station!

No comments:

Post a Comment